Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fortuna - Fortune

What fortune (my family name) means?

In Roman mythology, Fortuna (equivalent to the Greek goddess Tyche) goddess of fortune, was the personification of luck; hopefully she brought good luck, but she could be represented veiled and blind, as modern depictions of Justice are seen, and came to represent the capriciousness of life. Atrox Fortuna claimed the lives of Augustus' two hopeful grandsons, educated to take up princely roles,[1] for she was also a goddess of fate. Her father was Jupiter, and though she had no lovers or children of her own, Fortuna was propitiated by mothers.

So I should pray to her when I want good luck in my life e.g. when I play bingo online ;)

The Wheel of Fortune, or Rota Fortunae, is a concept in medieval and ancient philosophy referring to the capricious nature of Fate. The wheel belongs to the goddess Fortuna, who spins it at random, changing the positions of those on the wheel - some suffer great misfortune, others gain windfalls. Just like in my favourite online game, in bingo. Like last time when I played at Wink Bingo and were chatting with a good bingo mate... I had bad luck when she had great luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment